Here We Go Again ...

After an almost 21 day long downtime from running to recover from a knee injury, I finally laced up and ran yesterday. Though it was short of a week from the actual intended time I was allowed to run again, it was utterly liberating to hit the roads again. I absolutely missed running!

But I had to really convince the wife that I was good to go again before she released the shackles from my legs ... LOL! She's been making sure I recovered properly and not sneak out the house in the wee hours of the morning to run, not that that would ever happen seeing as how even an earthquake couldn't wake me up in the mornings!

Jamie, who will be running the Gold Coast Airport Marathon in July decided to organize a training group to run on weekends. The group wasn't catered specifically for those running the GCAM and anyone who was training for a 10K, half or full marathon was welcome to join in. Even a newbie to running was welcomed.

I took that as a great opportunity to ease back into running again. Besides the fact that it's always fun running with a group of running enthusiasts, it would serve as a perfect platform to start my marathon training plans for the Standard Chartered KL Marathon in June.

What I like about group training sessions like these is the amount of knowledge and tips you can gather about running. No matter how much you think you know about running, there is always something new to learn from sessions like these, especially from the more seasoned runners in the group.

The first session saw a turnout of about 15 runners. After the initial tips from Jamie and the warm up session, the group headed out for a slow and easy 7km run, seeing as how this was the first training session. The agreed pace was exactly what I was looking for since it was my first run in almost 3 weeks. The legs were feeling fine after the three week rest but I wasn't about to push it and risk a recurrence.

I planned a slow 6:30-7:00 pace and actually managed to keep to that, at least for a while anyway. After the second or so kilometer, the legs actually felt pretty good and I decided to increase the pace a little to see if there would be any discomfort to the knee. The good news was, the knee was holding out just fine. But not wanting to really push myself, especially on my first day back, I capped the pace to somewhere between 6:00-6:15 all the way back to the end point.

While still a little sluggish and far from my best, especially stamina wise, I was pretty happy with the outcome. It's still a long way to go before I get back to where I was but the signs look good, barring any recurrence of the injury. I'm going to have to remind myself to go easy and not rush into things. I have this stubborn and impatient streak in me, which is why I get injuries pretty easily.

I haven't signed up for too many races in the first quarter of the year with only the Brooks Half in my race calendar. That leaves me about a month or so to get in gear for that race. The second half will definitely see me doing the SCKLM, a race which I have targets and goals to achieve, the Shape Men's Health run, a race of sentimental reasons, the PNM which will probably see me doing the half marathon this time simply because I see myself being involved with loads of work for that event.

My plans for the year is to put in a lot more time for training and target specific races with gusto and put all that training to action. I'm also looking at doing the Penang Bridge Marathon this year but have not made any decisions on that yet and might also partake in the Powerman again, sprint of relay, not really sure yet but chances are on the relay again if I can find a rider for it since I'm not that adept at cycling.

I will not be taking part in much 10K or less events cos I personally think some of them are priced too high but won't mind helping out as a volunteer for these events if given the chance. At least that way I can give back something to the sport.

With that said and done, it does feel good to be up and running again and am looking forward to what the year has in store for me, running wise. Let's hope it'll be an injury-free one!

Comments

  1. Saw you in Jamie's GCAM training group's photo. Hope you are fully recovered :)

    Can't wait to sign up the SCKLM next week, lets rockthe KL city again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come join us next week la :D

      Let's sub-5 the SCKLM together!

      Delete
    2. Neoh, he sure looked fully recovered. He was leading the pack on Saturday! LOL

      Delete
    3. Haha Lina, I wasn't leading the pack. That was only the last KM that you see me at the front.

      Delete
  2. We are also talking about joining as volunteers when I'm not running a race this year. ^^

    Give back what we've enjoyed while running. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, might as well make myself useful if I'm not actually running races, right?

      Delete
  3. to stay absolutely injury free is impossible. Well unless you stop running all together.

    But to minimize the recurrence of injuries, we need to be cautious to heed to early warning signs. Giving special attention to our running form, gait, pace, surfaces, distance as well as shoe wear.

    Hope you have a relatively injury free year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right which is why I'm planning to heed all warning signs my body gives me.

      Going to take things a lot more easier and not push too much, after all, I'm not that young anymore :D

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you're back to running. :D Take it easy and build up slow and don't rush things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be running again though I'm still keeping things easy at the moment.

      Delete
  5. Yayyy... the speedster Nick has risen from the ashes, just like a Phoenix... I`m sure u have made the most of your hiatus recovery period...

    Back on your two injury free feet alas... Happy training and let`s go for our Sub5 PB this coming SCKLM... hehe... =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to be back but I'm still cautious with my training for now.

      Cool, let's wallop that sub-5 together then :D

      Delete

Post a Comment