The Year On Fast Forward

The year end is coming up pretty quick with the new year just looming over the horizon. Where did the time go? One minute it was January and the next thing I know is it's going to be the end of November in about a week or so.

Work wise, it's been a frantic year, with loads of ups and downs, thankfully it was more ups than downs :D Running wise, it's been a heck of a year. I can't even remember the number of races the wife and me took part in, which was a huge increase from last year.

If someone told me a year ago that I would run 5 half marathons this year and countless other shorter distanced races, I would have told them to get their head examined. In fact I would have got my own head examined if I told myself that I'm going to be attempting my first full marathon next year!

Running has taken over a huge part of the wife's and my life these days. What started out as just wanting to be healthy has turned into a huge passion for us. We're enjoying ourselves running so much so that when we don't run, we feel lousy. We look forward to races so that we can put all that hard training sessions to the test to see how we fare.

I'm mighty proud of her though, she gives her all in races, be it a short 5K race to a grueling 21K in hot blistering sun. Who would have thought that just a little over two years ago, a girl who didn't like running at all is now actually enjoying running half marathons. She's done three half's this year alone, one after the other and she's come out better and faster in each and every one of them. It won't be long before she one day says she want to attempt a full marathon. You mark my words :D

There's only two more races left for the year for the two of us, with the first one coming up this weekend which is the Nike City run and then followed immediately by our 'home ground' MPSJ run, both 10K events, something short and simple to end the year.

We'll be starting the year with the Newton 25K Run on the first day of the new year itself and then followed by the MPIB 12K run the week after, if I'm not mistaken. Though I've heard some nasty things about the route (Newton) having the grandmother of all hills and then some, I'm actually looking forward to it. It'll be a great way to kick off my marathon preparations for next year.

With that said and done, here's wishing all the best to everyone running the Desa Park City and Nike runs this weekend.

Comments

  1. It's so much fun there! So many races to join, nothing much here. I'm gonna save up for races in other state/countries next year hmph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mas, Aiyaaa just shift over to these parts la ... LOL!

    But yeah, I think they have loads more races over here though some of them are not worth joining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some time I felt a bit tired on so many races that I had joined. Exhaustion do caught up especially I had 2~3 races in a roll. But heck I am still keep looking and register for coming races.

    Btw, really need to stick to once a month starting Jan 2012. So I will skip both MPIB & Mizuno. Any race in Feb? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for news on Feb races too, like Neoh. :)

    Nick, now that you are on route to do your full, maybe next year you can do the Ultra pulak? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend were telling me about the Newton race in Jan but I don't think I'll be able to make it coz I'm going for a beach holiday with other friends. XD

    I'll save more money to join more races everywhere then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neoh, I'm also picking and choosing the races I tale part in. Getting too old to take part in everything, some more the wallet getting too thin already ... LOL!

    No idea what races there are in February but I'll shout out if I find any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lina, Ultra? Aiyyoooooo, not the least bit ready fir it, maybe after a couple of marathons under my belt will I even consider something so suicidal ... hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mas, Good idea :D I too need to save some money cos these races are plain expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How didja convert your wife? Can share some tips?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bareno Half will be back in Mar :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nick,
    Ala... Some people already said you guys who do marathons suicidal what. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the Nike run! So nice to go for races with a significant other :) I'll be at the MPSJ run too

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jamie, I actually didn't convert her, it all started with the Shape run in 2010. She took part in the 5K and was so thrilled by it that she got hooked on running :D

    I think people who don't like running should try at least one race and I'm sure they'll be hooked :D Now I can't stop her from running ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jamie, I heard the Bareno is also pretty challenging. Didn't take part last year but will try it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Patricia, It always is having someone you love share the same passion. All the best in the MPSJ next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bareno is a tricky one. Big rolling hills and long gradual climbs. But a very good race to test out the strength. Since they start early, the sun is less of a factor. Mar is a humid month though, so plenty of sweating :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment