Have You Seen My Mojo?

I've lost my running mojo! The past two weeks has been hell for me, running wise. I've been struggling in practically all my run sessions and its taken three and sometimes maybe even four times more effort to do my usual runs.

I'm disheartened and disappointed. I hate this feeling. Putting on my running shoes and having to struggle just to run a distance that I was comfortable with just two weeks ago is painful. It's heart wrenching. And speaking of painful, the pain in my right leg doesn't help with this slump in form.

Just today, I planned to do a minimum of 10K, a distance that shouldn't be all that difficult for me but I ended up hitting the wall at 6K! Everything in me refused to move. The legs were so heavy that it felt like I had concrete poured down my trainers. My lungs felt like it had used up all the oxygen on this planet and the onset of a sudden pounding headache hit me like a sledgehammer!

Something is really wrong with my form the past two weeks. That constant pain in my right leg is seriously affecting my concentration. I know I'm capable of better than what I'm doing right now. Right this very minute, especially today, when I was struggling my way along the roads, I was not a happy runner. I haven't felt unhappy about running in a long time.

To be fair, it's been a tiring work day and I'm putting it all down to work stress and that nagging leg pain, which I aim to go get it x-rayed soon. Personally I think it's all down to that injury I'm suffering from right now that is making running so unpleasant. The faster I fix it, the happier I'll be on the roads again.

I also may have to re-think my route. The fumes from the traffic stalled cars are so bloody hazardous for running. I could practically feel the fumes being inhaled in my oxygen starved lungs (which was probably the cause of that sudden headache attack). Why isn't this country running friendly? I could run in the parks somewhere but parks are boring and I hate having to do loop after loop.

Maybe I should start running in the mornings again, the air is so much fresher and there's so much lesser exhaust fumes floating around. But then, I've never been a morning person. But for the sake of my health and putting back that 'bounce' into my running, I just might have to sacrifice my sleep.

Until then, I need to find my running mojo again and I hope it hasn't outrun me!

Comments

  1. Classic case of burnout bro, in all honesty. Take a step back, cross train on core exercises. Even when you run, don't run by distance and run at an easy pace. Don't pressure yourself. Give yourself a break, catch up on sleep and rest. It'll come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon.

    Come join me in the morning. The air is fresher, and traffic is at ease. :)
    The only problem on morning run will be a tired working day after the workout :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... get well soon.

    Seems to me that your body is screaming for rest! Maybe that's what you should be doing.

    Sometimes, when I stip running for a week, I run a lot better the next. IDK, works differently on different people. What do I know, I am beginner in this!

    Take care, alright?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie - I have to agree with you. A break is something my body really needs right now. Thanks for the tips on getting my mojo back :) I'be just been putting too much pressure on myself these past few months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neoh - If I can force my sleepy butt out of bed, I wouldn't mind joining you. I really have problems waking up so early unless of course it's race day la ... hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take care. Recharge.

    And come back stronger. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pou Leen - I agree, rest is something I really need to take right now. Beginner or not, any advise is welcomed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have days like that too. Believe me, the feeling just hangs there like a dark cloud that refuse to dissipate. I would agree that it is a case of burn out. Take a rest. Don't set any goals or target. Cross train if you must. When you are truly rested, it will come back to you.
    P.S. better get that peroneal tendonitis sorted out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nick, I've a problem with mornings too! Except Sundays, strangely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Francis - I can so relate to that dark cloud. Thanks for the advise. I'm definitely going to ease off for a bit and start chasing that mojo again when I'm good and rested :)

    I'm going to check that leg out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jamie - Nice to know I'm not the only one with the morning waking up problems though on Sundays I do wake up early too but not by choice though. I'm forced to wake up and send the boys for Sunday school ... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you just need a break! You have been joining races back to back! I'm sure you'll get your mojo back in no time after a well deserved break!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Patricia - I think so too. I've just been pushing myself too hard and putting loads of pressure on myself. It's time to back off and take things easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes you need to give in and rest. Then go back with a vengeance :)


    The Twerp and I

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jellybelly - I totally agree. Welcome to my humble blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment