The Squash Queen

A short deviation from my usual posts about running to offer a big congratulatory message to Nicol David, our squash queen, and as far as I'm concerned a real true Malaysian athlete for her win today in the CIMB Malaysian Open Championships against Jenny Duncalf at the Curve.

Warming up before her match against Kawy ...
Wifey and I managed to catch her live in action for her semi-final match against Omneya Abdel Kawy from Egypt yesterday, our first time actually seeing the world champ in action and we were simply thrilled. We didn't realize that the championship was held there and only discovered it after buying my shoes from the Brooks outlet there.

Photograph and interview sessions with Nicol ...
The timing was just right for her semi-final match and we stuck around to watch. A little disappointed with the coverage though cos not many people were there to watch, just a few people in the temporary stands and just the shoppers who were there. She is the world champion playing on home soil and it would have be good to see more people cheer her on. But it was nice to finally get to see her play in person.

Jenny Duncalf after her semi-final victory with the fans ...
Kudos to Nicol David on her victory which I had no doubts that she would win and here's wishing her all the best in her next event.

Nicol in action in her semi-final match ...

Comments

  1. Didn't even know that Malaysian Open is on.

    I have much respect for Nicol David. One of our sporting hero. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lina - Same here, if it wasn't cos I wanted to get my shoes, I'd have no idea. Seriously bad promotion by the organizers la!

    They can promote those useless bunch of clowns called the football team but the coverage of an international standard homegrown squash champion is practically non-existent ... siggghhh ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wuah, in the middle of a mall? I'd be cheering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mas - Yes, it was right smack in the middle of the main concourse. I was surprised too :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment