A Leap Of Faith


Today marks the first day of a brand new 18 week plan that will lead me down the road to the Gold Coast Marathon in July. This will be my 6th continuous year that I'll be returning for the marathon there and hopefully, it'll be a more successful year.

After the perplexing, strange and unexplained malady that struck me on the last week of training last year which resulted in a DNS an hour before race start for me, the road back hasn't been without its own set of troubles and issues. I lost all self confidence in my running. I ran without a purpose and was too afraid to even sign up for races which in turn was affecting my recovery back.

It took a lot out of me to purge the past and with some help from the wife and my running buddies, I slowly put all that self doubt behind me and finally moved on from holding on to the past. And what a relief it was. The running slowly improved from day to day and the confidence and motivation levels were slowly but surely coming back, just right on time to take on a fresh new challenge.

A little tweaking with the nutrition plan which I felt was not nearly good enough the last time round and taking a leap of faith, I switched from the Hansons beginner plan and opted for the advanced plan after a little prompting from the wife who kept saying, "how long are you planning on being a beginner?".

I'm as ready as can be and the next 18 weeks will undoubtedly be tough, what with work and family life thrown in but then success doesn't come easy and you have to work for it. Sacrifices will have to be made and hopefully it'll bear fruit come July 2019 in the Gold Coast.

Speaking of the Gold Coast Marathon, this will be my sixth year there. I've grown to love the place ever since I first stepped foot there. With the race falling mid year, every year, it's the perfect mid year break for the wife and me. I mean, what can't you not love about the Gold Coast Marathon? The perfect winter weather with lots of sunshine, the PR capable flat race route, a certified Gold Label marathon, running by the pacific ocean, lots of crowd support along the way and the excellent volunteers from start to finish.

That's just the race alone, I haven't even even touched on the beautiful and exciting places to visit or just chill after the race. To really experience what the Gold Coast Marathon has to offer, you really need to experience it yourself. Early bird entries are still open till end April 2019, so there's still time for you to sign up. Take it from me, once you experience the Gold Coast Marathon, you'll want to go back for more! 


Comments