Training Recap Week 3 - Keep Showing Up!


Today marks week 3 or 21 days into the plan, depends on how you want to look at it. So far I've been coping with the exception of this morning's first long run of the plan. 

Week 3 was more or less the same intensity as the previous week but with one difference. This week saw the inclusion of a tempo run at marathon pace thrown in. That makes two SOS sessions for the week. Things are not going to get any easier from here on out. 

Overall, the week has been good. The easy runs were handled well, with the focus on keeping the runs real easy, after all it's called an easy run for a reason and even the older aunties and uncles in my neighbourhood have been seen running faster than me ... hahaha!

I've in the past made the mistake of not taking these easy runs seriously and have been running at anything but an easy pace. This time around keeping the easy runs slow has been beneficial to my recovery and also be able to have enough to take on the intervals and tempo sessions. I guess we all learn from our past mistakes and impatience.

The interval on Tuesday called for a 8 x 600m session and I managed to handle that with the pace spot on save for one rep towards the end where the pace dropped from a lack of focus. Overall though, the session was a success. Next week's 6 x 800m will be 'fun'!

The first 10km marathon paced tempo of the plan was a little tougher to handle though. The haze that morning which was not very apparent in the dark morning made the session a little tough on the lungs. While I managed to hit paces that were a little faster than my planned pace, I won't lie, the going was tough, so much so that I had to stop to walk at least three times for a few metres. But in the end, I'm happy that the legs still remembers how to run at that pace. I was a little apprehensive even before the session whether I could pull this off though, truth be told.

Week 3 also saw the first long run of the plan at 15km and boy, did I suck at it. It was easily one of my worst runs since I started the plan. Right from the start I knew it was going to be tough going. The route, one which I totally despise, didn't help much. I could hardly keep going, the legs felt like they were lined with lead and I made the mistake of forgetting to bring along any hydration or even cash and I paid for that dearly. 

I was grateful for the company of Choon Yuen though, otherwise I probably would have just given up. The chatter and jokes along the way kept the mind occupied and somehow, I still managed to just keep at the threshold of the pace requirements and squeeze in a faster session on the way back which was what the plan called for anyway, so I guess that's something. But I was totally drained and there was nothing left in the tank!

I considered the run a failed session but my wife told me that if you ran and completed it without giving up, then that's not considered a bad run or failed session. A failed session according to her is giving up and not finishing what I started. That makes me feel a little bit better though. I guess I just have to keep showing up every single day!

Next week will more or less be about the same mileage and same intensity as this week so theoretically I should be able to pull it off without too much trouble. I'll let you know how it went next Sunday but one thing's for sure, I'm not giving up and believe I can only get better from here on so here's to Week 4!

Comments